Gabapentin capsules, tablets, and oral solution are used along with other medications to help control certain types of seizures in people who have epilepsy. Gabapentin capsules, tablets, and oral solution are also used to relieve the pain of postherpetic neuralgia (PHN; the burning, stabbing pain or aches that may last for months or years after an attack of shingles).
Gabapentin (Generic Neurontin ) is used to help control partial seizures (convulsions) in the treatment of epilepsy. This medicine cannot cure epilepsy and will only work to control seizures for as long as you continue to take it.
Gabapentin (Generic Neurontin ) is also used to manage a condition called postherpetic neuralgia, which is pain that occurs after shingles. It’s also taken for nerve pain. Nerve pain can be caused by different illnesses, including diabetes and shingles, or it can happen after an injury.
Gabapentin (Generic Neurontin ) works in the brain to prevent seizures and relieve pain for certain conditions in the nervous system. It is not used for routine pain caused by minor injuries or arthritis. Gabapentin is an anticonvulsant.
Occasionally, gabapentin (Generic Neurontin ) is used to prevent migraine headaches. Gabapentin (Neurontin) and pregabalin (Lyrica) are anticonvulsants and nerve pain medicines which have structural similarities to the inhibitory neurotransmitter GABA.
Gabapentin (Generic Neurontin ) is available only with your doctor’s prescription.
Gabapentin (Generic Neurontin ) is available in the following dosage forms:
Tablet, Extended Release, 24 HR
DOSAGE FORMS AND STRENGTHS of Gabapentin
100 mg: white hard gelatin capsules printed with “PD” on the body and300 mg: yellow hard gelatin capsules printed with “PD” on the body and “Neurontin/300 mg” on the cap
400 mg: orange hard gelatin capsules printed with “PD” on the body and “Neurontin/400 mg” on the cap
600 mg: white elliptical film-coated scored tablets debossed with “NT” and “16” on one side
Gabapentin 800 mg: white elliptical film-coated scored tablets debossed with “NT” and “26” on one side
Oral solution: 250 mg per 5 mL (50 mg per mL), clear colorless to slightly yellow solution
Gabapentin (Generic Neurontin ) was developed in 1993 and has indications for shingles (‘postherpetic neuralgia’) and partial-onset seizures. It has had a growing popularity in off-label uses for fibromyalgia, pain from a variety of causes, migraine, cocaine withdrawal, anxiety, and insomnia. A related compound, gabapentin encarbil (Horizant), is approved for shingles and restless leg syndrome. Pregabalin was developed in 2004 and is approved for nerve pain from diabetes and spinal cord injuries, fibromyalgia, and adjunctive treatment of partial-onset seizures. Although prescribed off-label for anxiety in the U.S., it is approved for this purpose in the U.K., where it is sometimes called the ‘new Valium’.
Gabapentin extended-release tablets (Horizant) are used to treat restless legs syndrome (RLS; a condition that causes discomfort in the legs and a strong urge to move the legs, especially at night and when sitting or lying down).
Gabapentin is in a class of medications called anticonvulsants. Gabapentin treats seizures by decreasing abnormal excitement in the brain. Gabapentin relieves the pain of PHN by changing the way the body senses pain. It is not known exactly how gabapentin works to treat restless legs syndrome.
- Actavis elizabeth llc
- Amneal pharmaceuticals ny llc
- Apotex inc etobicoke site
- Aurobindo pharma usa inc
- Hikma pharmaceuticals
- Invagen pharmaceuticals inc
- Ivax pharmaceuticals inc sub teva pharmaceuticals usa
- Mutual pharmaceutical co inc
- Ranbaxy laboratories ltd
- Sandoz inc
- Sun pharmaceutical industries ltd
- Teva pharmaceuticals usa
- Watson laboratories inc
- Pfizer pharmaceuticals ltd
- Parke davis div warner lambert co
- Glenmark generics ltd
- Matrix laboratories ltd
- Teva pharmaceuticals usa inc
- 4uOrtho LLC
- Actavis Group
- Aidarex Pharmacuticals LLC
- Amerisource Health Services Corp.
- Amneal Pharmaceuticals
- Apotex Inc.
- Apotheca Inc.
- A-S Medication Solutions LLC
- Aurobindo Pharma Ltd.
- Blenheim Pharmacal
- Blu Pharmaceuticals LLC
- Bryant Ranch Prepack
- Camber Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Cardinal Health
- Comprehensive Consultant Services Inc.
- Corepharma LLC
- Coupler Enterprises Inc.
- Dispensing Solutions
- Diversified Healthcare Services Inc.
- Eon Labs
- Fusion Pharmaceuticals LLC
- Glenmark Generics Ltd.
- Golden State Medical Supply Inc.
- Greenstone LLC
- H.J. Harkins Co. Inc.
- Heartland Repack Services LLC
- Hikma Pharmaceuticals
- Innoviant Pharmacy Inc.
- Ivax Pharmaceuticals
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital
- Keltman Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Lake Erie Medical and Surgical Supply
- Living Well Pharmacy Inc.
- Major Pharmaceuticals
- Mckesson Corp.
- Medvantx Inc.
- Murfreesboro Pharmaceutical Nursing Supply
- Neuman Distributors Inc.
- Northstar Rx LLC
- Nucare Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Palmetto Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- PCA LLC
- PD-Rx Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Pfizer Inc.
- Pharmaceutical Packaging Center
- Pharmacy Service Center
- Physicians Total Care Inc.
- Preferred Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Prepak Systems Inc.
- Professional Co.
- Ranbaxy Laboratories
- Rebel Distributors Corp.
- Remedy Repack
- Resource Optimization and Innovation LLC
- Sandhills Packaging Inc.
- Southwood Pharmaceuticals
- St Mary’s Medical Park Pharmacy
- Stat Rx Usa
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd.
- UDL Laboratories
- United Research Laboratories Inc.
- Vangard Labs Inc.
- Warner Lambert Company LLC
- West-Ward Pharmaceuticals